Frankincense like Myrrh has been used by numerous civilizations during various religious practices for its ability to purify the air, lift the spirits and for its calming effects. Ayurvedic too has used Frankincense since time immemorial for preparations of medicines to treat diseases varying from skin infections to respiratory illnesses to arthritis etc. Frankincense has also been used as an effective insect repellent for hundreds of years.
How to use homemade concoctions:
- Frankincense has anti-inflammatory effects that, may help reduce joint inflammation caused by arthritis. Add a few drops of the essential oil and dilute with coconut oil or olive oil and apply topically to the affected areas for relief.
- Burning Frankincense (Dhoopan) is said to purify the atmosphere. That is why it is regularly burned during religious ceremonies. You could also spread the aroma of Frankincense essential oil through an oil diffuser and enjoy the aroma and purify the air in process.
- Having Frankincense in the first aid kit makes a great sense on account of its anti-microbial properties. In case of a wound or burn you could wash yourself with water mixed with frankincense and then proceed to the doctor.
- In case of congestion once could mix a few drops of Frankincense along with Peppermint essential oil to a carrier oil like coconut and rub it on your chest for relief.
- Frankincense essential oil is also a great mouthwash, you could add a few drops of the oil to water and rinse, for healthy gums. Be careful of not ingesting the concoction.
Disclaimer: These are home remedies and not actual medical advice. Therefore, users are advised to see what works best for them and refer to a medical practitioner in case of severe symptoms. Pure Essential Oils are potent and some people can be allergic to them. In case of any symptom of allergic reaction to the oil, please discontinue use immediately and consult a doctor.
- Pregnant and lactating women should consult their doctor before applying any essential oil.
- Always dilute essential oils with carrier oils like coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil for topical use.
- Store away from sunlight, ideally in temperatures ranging between 15*C – 25*C
- Keep away from children.
- For Topical Application and Aroma Purpose only. NOT TO BE INGESTED.
- Please consult a Naturalist / Doctor, before using essential oils for medical purposes.